The Ultimate DIY LEGO Party

In July, my two boys turned four and six, and we celebrated with a joint LEGO party.  It was a great party, and I am so excited to share all the fun and easy DIY details with you.



We started out with a super-cute invitation that I put together using Picmonkey.  I used a picture of the birthday boys holding cardboard LEGO men that I made for them {using foam core and bristol board from the dollar store}.




I used the same LEGO men as part of the party decor, and I made a fun LEGO banner using construction paper.  Everything was tied together with a red, yellow, and blue color scheme.





As children arrived at the party, they were directed toward a table where they designed their own LEGO person.  {You can download the worksheet I created here.}




Then, after everyone had arrived, all the children decorated LEGO cookies.  I made butter cut-out cookies and cut them into rectangles.  Every child decorated two cookies using icing and skittles.  The children ate one of the cookies and took the other one home in a bag labelled with their name on it.




After the cookie decorating (and while the children were still seated), we ate and had the birthday cakes.  You can read all about how I made my boys' simple LEGO cakes here.




Then, we played the following LEGO games:

1)  Guess the number of LEGO bricks in the jar.




2)  LEGO bean bag toss.  (You can find a "how to make a bean bag toss from a box" tutorial here.)




3)  Free play with bins of LEGO.




4)  Pin the head on the LEGO man.  (You can download the free templates here.)




5)  Tower building with "life size LEGO".  (You can find the instructions for building your own life size LEGO blocks here.)




6)  Bust open the LEGO Ninjago Piñata.  (I made this DIY LEGO piñata using a balloon, and the same technique I used here.)




7)  LEGO Balloon Tennis... where the kids hit balloons back and forth using their LEGO paddles.  (This game was a VERY popular with the party guests.  I crafted paddles using paper plates with popsicle sticks duct taped to the back.  Then, I added a LEGO head cut from yellow construction paper.) 




Before we knew it, the party was over, and it was time for the guests to leave... with their loot bags. Each guest left with their LEGO cookies, their LEGO paddle and a balloon, and a little treat bag. Instead of traditional treat bags, I made special LEGO cupcakes for the kids to take home. They were definitely a hit!




It was a great party, and a good time was had by all.  I think "LEGO" is a really fun and simple theme for a birthday party, don't you?


Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)





You might also like the fun DIY party ideas here.

18 comments:

  1. What a fun birthday! We love using Picmonkey for invitations! It makes it so easy to have personalized invitations :) Pinned so I don't forget this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  2. These are wonderful! You are so creative and it looks like the boys had a great time. I love all of the details that went into everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cookie decorating idea. It's such a great way getting the kids involved! Thanks for linking up to Party Time on Moms & Munchkins and we hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your ideas!!! I'm having a lego themed 1st birthday party for my little one this weekend. Being that there will be kids of all ages attending I have been looking up a few party games. Thanks for the templates for the pin the head I think that will be a hit with the older kids!
    Life is Peaches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad you found something that may work for you. Have a fantastic party!

      Delete
  5. Love the pin the head on the lego man game! Great party any kid would enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for sharing your ideas, all of them will be useful for my soon´s party number 5.
    Gracias por compartir tus idea, todos van a ser muy útiles para el cumpleaños 5 de mi hijo.
    Vanessa
    Ecuador

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gina,
    My son wants a Lego party for his 7th birthday. I love creating homemade party games and thanks to your site I now have some great inspiration for this year.
    Thank you.
    Nina Douglas (UK)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gina! Thank you very much for sharing your ideas! I'm preparing a lego party for my sons next week and I was looking for some lego pinata ideas!
    Thank you.
    Fabiana (an italian expat mum that lives in France, moving to UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find something helpful. Our pinata was a big hit! :-) Have a great party!

      Delete
  9. What a fun party!
    I am planning our own LEGO birthday celebration - wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the free printable for the Lego man! I am throwing my son's 6th birthday party in a couple of days and I am not a good artist. I really appreciate your idea and your generosity that allowed me to pull it of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I hope your son has a fantastic party. Have fun!

      Delete
  11. Hello,

    I love all your ideas! I am going to try the cake, the paddle board balloon game, decorating your own cookie and I would love some info on your large lego man boards. Can you share some info on now you made those? Also how big is your pin the head on the lego man board? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link to the full tutorial for the Pin the Head on the LEGO game is included above. Here it is again: https://eastcoastmommyblog.blogspot.ca/2013/07/pin-head-on-lego-man-with-free-printable.html

      Re: the LEGO MAN boards... I just drew the parts on coloured paper, and stuck them on large (bristol board sized) pieces of foam core.

      Let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete

Don't miss any of the fun....