First Day of School Class Treats/Gifts

Today was the first day of school for my boys, and as always, they each took presents for their teachers and new classmates.  I think this is an important tradition for us because it teaches the boys about the importance of giving, and it gives them a little boost of confidence on their first day.  This year each boy chose their own gifts.


My four year old chose to bring his Preschool classmates LEGO crayons.  We made these gifts by melting down broken crayons in a LEGO mold and attaching a note that said, "I am looking forward to building a friendship with you".  


My six year old chose to bring his Grade One class a container filled with "Smarties".  We added a note that said, "For the Grade One Smarties".



My seven year old chose to bring his Grade Three class a couple of bags of cookies.  We added a note that said, "For the Grade Three smart cookies".


And of course, we couldn't leave out the new teachers.  Each boy brought their new teacher a crayon pencil holder and a flower pen.


I found some inexpensive pen holders and crayons at the dollar store.  Then, I just used a glue gun to attach the crayons.  Simple! {...and you can find the tutorial for the flower pen here.}


I can't wait for my boys to get home from school.  Isn't it fun hearing about the first day?

♥ 
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)
 

13 comments:

  1. Lovely gifts! Your kids are going to be very popular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! The LEGO crayons are my favorite. :-)

      Delete
  2. What lovely gift ideas - I love your tradition!

    For the first time ever, we made the kids' teachers a Back to School gift - microwavable bean bags! I blogged about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything turned out so cute and I bet the teachers/kids loved them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can I find the printable "happy first day of school?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get the crayons to stay on with the hot glue, they are easily pulled off. HELP! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird. Are you using hot glue? I made several of them, and I didn't have any problems. I put the glue along the length of the crayon and then stuck it to the container. You have to work quickly... attach the crayon before the glue starts to cool.

      Delete
  6. I can't get the crayons to stay on with the hot glue, they are easily pulled off. HELP! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird. Are you using hot glue? I made several of them, and I didn't have any problems. I put the glue along the length of the crayon and then stuck it to the container. You have to work quickly... attach the crayon before the glue starts to cool.

      Delete
  7. Hi Gina. Do you happen to have a version of the LEGO crayon card you can share electronically? My kids are starting a new school in couple of weeks and i thought this was a great idea to bring on the first day. Thanks! Erin erinobooth@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe I can use your ideas to help me make some 1st day of school gifts for my new classmates and teachers I'll probulary have in 8th grade in the fall.

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....