Easy Harry Potter Cakes

I am not a professional cake decorator. In fact, I have never even taken a cake decorating course. But, I always try to make special cakes for my boys' birthdays.  This year I made two Harry Potter cakes for my oldest son.  They were simple to make and turned out totally cute!


The first cake was a simple "Quidditch Cake".  


To make each goal post, I wrapped electrical tape around pipe cleaners and twisted them into a circle.  Then, I stuck the end into a paper straw.

And to make the golden snitch, I added wax paper wings.

I finished it off by adding some "every flavour beans" along the bottom of the cake.  I think it adds a nice touch of color, don't you?

The second cake was a simple "Crest Cake".


I started with a basic rectangular sheet cake, and I carved it into the shape of a crest.  I did a crumb coat, and then covered the cake with yellow icing.  I piped on some red trim, and then I added some fun "Harry Potter" items -- a fruit roll-up scar, a foil wrapped golden snitch, some every flavour beans, and a chocolate frog.  Simple and fun! 

Which Harry Potter cake is your favorite?


Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

4 comments:

  1. both are so wonderful!!! I Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. I am going to give the Quidditch one a try, but I am going to use sparklers in the shape of an 0. I hope it works out ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sparklers would be really cute. Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  3. This is fantastic! I'm going to try the Quidditch one and incorporate candles into them. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you.. Please leave me your comments below... and log in or leave me your email address if you would like a response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...