Simple Patio Update... a huge transformation for just a few dollars

Don't we all have a list of things in our home that need attention? I've been looking at my dreary and faded back door patio door and light fixture for years, but it's never made it to the top of my "to do" list... until now. A couple weeks ago, my husband and I decided to tackle this little project, and I couldn't be happier with the result! Today, I'm sharing how I transformed my patio door and light fixture for just a few dollars, and I'm sharing my tips and tricks for doing it in your own space.




As you can see from this before picture, my light fixture was faded (and had turned a weird "pinkish" colour), and my doors were boring and dingy.




I started by tackling my light fixutre. I didn't want to get into removing my light fixture, dealing with wires, and worrying about getting spray paint on the glass... so, I decided to use exterior paint and an artist brush.




I used black exterior paint I had leftover from painting my front door a few years ago. Then, after a good cleaning and a quick sanding, I used an artist brush from the dollar store to paint the fixture.




I used a little painter's tape to protect my house, but I did everything else freehand (without tape).




Didn't it turn out great?




Then, I decided to tackle my door.  I removed the hardware, and I taped all the areas I wanted to protect.




I used a combination of a brush and a foam roller. (FYI... I started with a dollar store roller, and didn't love the texture it was leaving on the door, so my husband went to the hardware store and got a higher quality version.)




I used a brush to do the edges, and smoothed it out with the roller. It worked really well. I ended up doing two coats to make sure I had good coverage.




After the paint on the door was dry, I removed the tape and replaced the hardware.

Doesn't it look great? In case you are wondering, we used was called Flirtatious.




I think paint is a wonderful, budget-friendly way to transform a space. Since I completed this project, I also painted 4 more exterior lights and the door going into my garage. 

I'm in love with cheerful yellow colour. What do you think?


Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)



You might also be interested in my interior door painting tips and tricks here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't miss any of the fun....