1) Photo Booth
You'll need: a tall box, a poster (of a favorite character, sports figure, or singer), some tape or glue, and an X-Acto knife (or other cutting tool).
To make a photo booth:
- Cut the back out of the box, and reinforce with packing tape (to make it a little stronger).
- Tape or glue the poster to the front of the box.
- Cut out the head of the person/character with an X-Acto knife.
2) Bean Bag Toss Game
You'll need: a box with a lid, a picture (of anything/anyone the child likes), some paint and Modge Podge, and an X-Acto knife (or other cutting tool).
For a step by step tutorial, click here.
3) Box Car
You'll need: a box big enough for a child to sit in, some paper plates for wheels and a steering wheel, and whatever else your child wants to use to decorate their car.
Just let the child drive the creative process, and you can help him/her implement it. You'll be amazed at what he/she will come up with.
4) Puppet Theatre
You'll need: a box of any size (we used a diaper box), stuff to decorate the box (we used paper, crayons, and stickers), scrap material, tape, scissors, and a stapler.
To make a puppet theatre:
- Cut the flaps off the box. (This will be the back of the theatre.)
- Cut a square out of the front of the box.
- Decorate box.
- Staple the fabric to the top of the box (leaving an opening in the middle of the "curtain").
You'll need: boxes of various shapes and sizes, construction paper, tape (for attaching the paper), and black electrical tape.
To make buildings:
- Cover the boxes in construction paper - securing with tape.
- Cut electrical tape into tiny squares and attach "windows".
- Cut two strips of electrical tape and attach "doors".
My boys use their buildings when they are setting up their cars and trucks.
It is amazing how entertaining boxes can be. I would love to see/hear what you have made from boxes in your house. Leave a comment below, or email me at EastCoastMommy@gmail.com.
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)