Lunch Box Biscuits (school lunch HACK)

Making 15 school lunches each week makes me crazy, so I am always looking for ways to make my life a little easier. My oldest son isn't a big fan of sandwiches, but he loves homemade biscuits. Today I am sharing my lunch box biscuit recipe and a school lunch HACK that I find really helpful!


Here's the recipe I use...

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
3 tsp white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1 large egg
2/3 cup 2% milk

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
3) Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
4) Whisk the eggs and the milk together in a small bowl.
5) Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir (just until moistened).
6) Move biscuit dough to a well floured surface knead/fold about 15 times. Roll to 3/4-inch thick, and cut with a 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter. You'll end up with a dozen biscuits. (Note: I always roll the dough out on a piece of wax paper for easy clean up.)
7) Place on lightly greased baking sheet or Silpat, and bake for 8-10 minutes.



Now, here's my secret shortcut...



I let the biscuits cool completely. Then, I cut them in half, butter them, individually wrap them, and stick them in a freezer bag. I leave them in the freezer, and I just take them out as I need them for lunches. Simple, right?



My oldest son likes to take a biscuit, rolled up (preservative free) ham or organic pepperoni (from the farmer's market), and some yogurt. I add some fruit, and we end up with a lunch that we are both happy with.

Do you have any school lunch HACKS you'd like to share? I can use all the help I can get!


Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)


PS... You can find more of my family favourites here.


3 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delectable!!! Plus black beans make for excellent protein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making biscuits like this is also a quick way for breakfast. I used to make biscuits and store them in ziplock bags, cook sausage or bacon and store in ziplock in fridge and then kids can make their own breakfast sandwiches. Add cheese to sandwich and a piece of fruit on the side and you have breakfast in a jif.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be trying this right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....