Simple Boat Science Experiment

I believe it is important to expose my boys to science and nurture their curiosity for why things work the way they do.  With this in mind, we always do a science experiment during our summer vacation.  This year, we built boats and tested their buoyancy.


First, I let my boys design and build their own boats.  They started with a layer of craft foam and used hot glue to add popsicle sticks.  Then, they added a straw mast, and a craft foam sail.


Once the boats were finished, I asked the question, "How many rocks will it take to sink your boat?"  My boys came up with their own guesses (hypotheses), and then we tested the hypotheses to come up with a conclusions.  (In case you are wondering... it took 9 rocks to sink this boat.)


We had a lot of fun building our boats and testing their buoyancy. Then, when we were finished, we took our boats down to the river, and floated them there.

Do you ever do simple science experiments with your little ones?  If you are looking for some more ideas, I have a collection of another five simple science experiments here.


Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I was wondering for my chemistrh project, which boat design was the one that held the most rocks before it sunk? Perhaps you could send the process and pictures of the boat. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may email me your reply to: deniseysabellemalvarez@gmail.com

      Delete

Don't miss any of the fun....