Last year my middle son decided that he wanted to be the white ninja from LEGO Ninjago, and this year he wants to be a black ninja. In order to give him the look he desired, I used duct tape to create a simple no-sew black ninja costume.
Didn't it turn out cute?
To make the ninja shirt, I took one of my old black shirts and I added red duct tape (see below). Then, I drew a ninja star onto an old cereal box, cut it out, and covered it with grey duct tape. I used hot glue to attach the ninja star to a piece of red ribbon to create a belt.
To make the hood, I used the same method I used when my son was a white ninja.
1) I started with a plain black turtleneck.
2) I pulled the turtleneck over my son's head until it was covering his ears and nose.
3) I pulled the back of the shirt up over his forehead.
4) I tied the arms around the back of his head.
5) I adjusted the hood until it had the desired look.
I love a simple DIY costume, and this one was really inexpensive and easy to make. My 8 year old is super-excited about his black ninja costume, and I am happy that he is so pleased with it... and that I didn't have to sew anything!
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)