Tips for baking light and fluffy biscuits

I bake a lot, but for years my biscuits were a bust. I tried several recipes, but they always turned out flat. It took me years to figure out what I was doing wrong, but now that I have it figured out, I thought I would share my findings with you. If you want light and fluffy biscuits, here is what you need to know:


1) Make sure your baking powder (not baking soda) is fresh. Baking powder is a leavening agent that loses its effectiveness over time. (It's usually good for 9 to 12 months, so if yours is older than that, throw it out.)



2) Mix the dough COLD. The cold (straight from the fridge) bits of butter are what is going to make the biscuits light and fluffy.

3) Use a pastry blender. Cutting the dough with a pastry blender (and not your warm hands) is key. There are tons of inexpensive options, but this one has positive reviews. You can also use the "two knife" method to cut up the dough... but a pastry blender is MUCH easier.


4) Don't overwork the dough. Just knead the dough until everything is combined. Overworking the dough makes the biscuits flat.

5) Bake the biscuits HOT. Make sure you bake the biscuits in a really hot oven. I cook mine at 450 degrees.

6) Don't roll the dough too thin. I roll my dough about 3/4" thick.

7) Use a tried and true recipe. Click here for the one I bake weekly, and I'm never disappointed.





Are you a biscuit pro? Would you add anything to my list? If you struggle with flat biscuits, I hope these ideas help you "up your game". Light, fluffy, and buttery biscuits are the best, don't you think?


Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

2 comments:

  1. what the difference between magic baking powder and baking soda.

    carson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/baking-soda-vs-baking-powder

      Delete

Don't miss any of the fun....