How I Am Trying My Best To Raise Kind Kids

Hockey is a way of life for my family. With three boys in rep hockey (one in Novice, one in Atom, and one in PeeWee), the majority of our family's time and money is spent pursuing the boys' passion for the sport. However, I never forget that I am raising humans... not hockey players, and my husband and I try to make "giving back" a priority in our home. Kids take pride in knowing that their actions have an impact in the world, and I am hoping that being active in the community will help to make my boys kind and confident. Today, I am sharing some simple tips for teaching kids to be kind.



1) Have kids perform a simple random acts of kindness - Teaching children that little actions can have a big impact is an important lesson. Recently, I challenged each of my boys to make a card and deliver a treat to someone special. We found these "Have a Happy Day!" water bottles at the dollar store, and we filled them with yellow treats. 




I hope getting one of these treats "brightened" the day for each of the recipients.


2) Have kids think of a way to raise money for charity - My boys have a cousin that has Cystic Fibrosis, so they are always trying to think of ways to raise money to support research for the disease. They sell toys, run lemonade stands, and host an annual "letter writing to Santa" fundraiser.


3) Have kids support someone they know - Last year, one of my middle son's teammates was diagnosed with cancer, and his entire team rallied behind him... supporting him and raising money to help his family. It was heartwarming to watch this brave boy's hockey family work together to help him.


4) Learn about how other kids are giving back - Nothing inspires kids more than the actions of other kids. And, in partnership with Hockey Canada, Chevrolet* is encouraging good sportsmanship on and off the ice. For the second year, Chevrolet is continuing the Good Deeds Cup to search for PeeWee teams in Canada that demonstrate good deeds throughout the community. Aside from spreading good sportsmanship throughout their community, finalists and the ultimate winner will receive the Good Deeds Cup, be featured on Sportsnet, and receive $15,000 towards the charity of their choice.


To help a team win the Good Deeds Cup, visit www.chevrolethockey.com and view a video to vote for your choice from the top 10 finalists for the winner of the Chevrolet Good Deeds Cup.

How do you encourage your kids to be kind? Leave your comments below. I am always inspired by the heartwarming actions of children, aren't you?



Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

*Disclosure: I have partnered with YMC and Chevrolet and have received compensation for this post. All opinions in this post are my own.

2 comments:

  1. These are fabulous ideas! I've always tried to teach my girls to be kind. Now that the oldest is getting bigger she can start to understand the lessons behind activities like these, and thank you for the excellent suggestions! I am so impressed with the Good Deeds Cup! I've never heard of it but now I'll be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out the Good Deeds the North Halton Twisters Peewee BB semifinalist did https://youtu.be/O-kmJy6vEl4

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....