Shared HOCKEY BEDROOM (on a budget) Revealed

My two older boys have shared a room for most of their lives, but recently I realized that my boys were outgrowing their room's childish decor. I needed to redo the room to incorporate practical (and age appropriate) storage solutions for their things, as well as their individual interests and personalities. With a small room and a limited budget, I managed to come up with shared HOCKEY BEDROOM that both of my boys are extremely happy with.


One of my goals for the room was to make sure each boy had his own "side". They have matching bedding, but I labelled each side with a hockey stick containing each of their names. (You can find a step-by-step tutorial for the hockey sticks here.)



Check out the before and after picture (below) of the back wall of the room.


Don't you love the hockey sticks with the names? I painted the letters to match the colours in the bedding.


The red dresser that was originally in their room didn't match the new bedding, so I switched the dresser they had for one I had in another room. "Shopping your house" is a great way to decorate on a budget.

I hung a framed poster over the dresser, and added two baskets for books -- one for each boy.


Check out the before and after picture of my middle son's side of the room (below).



He wanted a place to display some of his LEGO, so my husband hung a couple of IKEA shelves, and I framed his first jersey in an inexpensive shadow box.


And for additional LEGO storage, I hung a clear shoe rack on the back of his door.


Check out the before and after picture of my oldest son's side of the room (below).



My oldest son wanted some DIY artwork on his side of the room. I put his first jersey in an inexpensive shadow box, I framed a picture I took of him playing hockey at the beach last summer, and I hung hockey cards showcasing his favourite players.


I also used a used an inexpensive ($30) bookcase to store the boys' books and belongings. Using cheap bookcase in a small space is another helpful tip for organizing a shared room.



Check out the before and after picture of the back end of my boys' shared bedroom (below).


I swapped out their toy bins for an inexpensive book shelf with baskets to store their "bits and bobs". Each boy has two baskets to store their "treasures", and I now know where to put things that they leave lying around the house.


What do you think of my boys' new room decor? I love that the room is age appropriate, organized, and decorated to their tastes. And, of course, I am thrilled that they are both happy with how it turned out!


Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)

2 comments:

  1. Love it all! I currently use one cardboard box per boy, stored in their closet for bits and bobs. We call them their "keep" boxes. If something fits in the box, they can keep it, no questions asked! I really like the transformation of their names onto the hockey sticks and matching the bedding. Very sleek and nice.

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....