A Birthday Letter to My Oldest Son on his 12th Birthday

In keeping with family tradition, today I am sharing a birthday letter to my oldest son on his 12th birthday. Each year (on my boys' birthdays), I write them letters in an attempt to capture a little bit of their personalities on paper. It's a tradition that is very special to me, and I am happy to have the opportunity to share it with you. Here is this year's letter to my first born son.


My kind and driven son,

I can't believe that you are only one year away from being a teenager. I feel like girlfriends and a driver's licence are just around the corner... and I am not ready! It makes me a bit sad to see my little boy slipping away, but I couldn't be more proud to be the mother of the wonderful young man you are becoming.

Here are a few reasons that you are the most special 12 year old I have ever met:

  • You continue to mature and take on more responsibilities. I never even need to ask if you have homework because I know you have it under control.
  • You are getting older, but I can still sneak a cuddle on movie night when you are distracted by popcorn and treats.
  • Hockey is your passion. Even though you are young and small, you always work hard, and you play with a lot of heart. Dad and I really admire your determination and work ethic.
  • You love playing mini sticks and collecting Tim Hortons hockey cards. Your favourite show is Sports Centre, and you love the Toronto Maple Leafs.
  • Your brothers continue to be your best buddies. You are always "taking shots" on each other, playing catch, and running around together.
  • You are continuing to learn to play the guitar, and you love learning new songs.
  • Your confidence is impressive, and I hope it continues to grow in the years to come. (This year, you read at your Great Grampie's funeral, and I was proud of your poise and heartfelt delivery.)
  • Peanut butter sandwiches are still your favourite snack... especially when Nanny treats you to white rolls.
  • Your favourite colour is blue, your hockey number is 11, and your sport's hero is Auston Matthews.

Happy birthday, my angelic boy. You may almost be a teenager, but you will always be my baby. I love you to the moon and back!

Love,
Mom
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't miss any of the fun....