Recycled Crayon Valentines

I am always love cute, easy and inexpensive gifts the boys can give to their little friends.  This year, my four year old is bringing these adorable heart-shaped crayon Valentines to his Preschool pals.


Cute, right?


Want to make some?  Dig out your old broken crayons, and follow these simple instructions.

Step 1 - Soak the crayons in water, and put the kids to work peeling the paper off the crayons.



Step 2 - Break up the crayons and put them in a heart-shaped muffin tin.  I found this silicon one at the dollar store.  (Don't forget to put the flimsy silicon muffin tin on a proper cookie sheet before you pop it into the oven.)


Step 3 - Melt the crayons in the oven.  (I set my oven to 300 degrees, and it took about 10 minutes for all the crayon bits to turn to liquid.) 

Step 4 - Carefully remove the tray from the oven, and let the crayons cool completely.  (I put mine outside to speed up the cooling process.)


Once you "pop" the crayons out of the tin, they are ready to give out.  I attached ours to cards (which I printed on my computer) that read, "I having a friend like YOU!", but you can package them any way you like.


Much better than a bin of broken crayons, don't you think? 

Happy Valentine's Day!


Gina Bell
 (aka East Coast Mommy)


Don't miss out on any of the fun... follow me on social media here.

     

If you are looking for more Valentine's Day inspiration, check out more than 30 Valentine's Day ideas here.

24 comments:

  1. Coming over from Sun Scholars linky. I'm an east coast mom too! This is a great Valentine idea! I'm going to pin it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this idea - much better than a store bought card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saying Hi From Craft-O-Maniac Mondays. Love this idea its so cute I think I am going to make some for my neice and nephews bdays! Please stop by and say hi at Cards and Things By Alex http://schnookle.blogspot.com :-)
    Cheers Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute project! Thanks! Came over from Craft-o-Maniac Mondays!
    Jillie
    http://makingsnmusings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the invite. Just linked up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these last year. Did yours turn out with layer on the top of the heart that was just wax thay would not leave marks? Maybe it was some of the crayons I used. They were a big hit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. This is the second time I made them, and they leave marks. I used all Crayola crayons. Maybe that makes a difference.

      Delete
    2. I think it must mine were made with all different brands

      Delete
  8. Super cute!! could also be a literacy tie-in with The Kissing Hand story for back to school or Guess How Much I Love You. Ohhhh, the wheels are turning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these previously and my kids loved making them

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these previously and my kids loved making them

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've melted crayons many times with my pre-school classes, but didn't think of the heart! Great for Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've done LEGO crayons, heart crayons, Christmas trees and gingerbread men. They were all adorable!

      Delete
  12. Do you think I could use metal cookie cutters instead as I don't have any silicon moulds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work... but I would use non-stick cooking spray.

      Delete
  13. Just wondering if the mold can be used again after melting the crayons in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy my molds at the dollar store and use them over and over again for crayons. I bet if cleaned it really well you could use it again... especially since crayons are non-toxic... but use your best judgement.

      Delete
  14. These are really cute! Got here from 100daysofrealfood.com What is the best way to attach the crayons to the gift card? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've done the hearts as well and they were a big hit. I love this tree one and want to do it, where did you find the mold? Also, how did you get the indention on the star?

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....