BEST Ideas for Preserving and Organizing Special Pieces of Kids' Clothing

In my home, January is all about "getting organized", and sentimental items always pose a particular challenge for me. When it comes to kids, "special" pieces of kids clothing can be difficult to part with, so today, I am sharing some of my best ideas for preserving and organizing the clothes that kids have outgrown.



1) Keep a few special pieces... but be ruthless. Just keep the items that you can't bear to get rid of... the ones with sentimental value. For example, a Christening gown, the outfit they wore home from the hospital, their favourite t-shirt as a toddler, etc... Each one of my boys has ONE tote where I keep some school work, special toys, and a couple of pieces of clothing. When they leave home, they can take their tote with them.



2) Make Christmas ornaments - I love the idea of turning important items into Christmas ornaments. Consider: filling a clear bulb with a baby hat and bracelet, sewing an ornament from a piece of clothing or special blanket, or popping a piece of material into an embroidery frame.



3) Create unique artwork - Special items can easily be turned into unique artwork. Frame a jersey or stretch a special t-shirt and staple it over a piece of canvas. It's also a good idea to frame an outfit with a picture of the child wearing the clothing.




4) Upcycle old clothing into something new - Old clothes can easily be upcycled into something new. Consider making a no-sew tote bag, scrunchies, sachets, face masks, headbands, scarfs, eye pillows, stuffed animals or pillows. 




5) Sew a memory quilt - I don't have the sewing skills to make one, but I think it's a great idea. Maybe I'll put it on my "to do" list.



What do you do with those pieces of kids' clothing you can't bear to part with? Do you think you'll try any of these ideas? I hope I've given you a bit of inspiration today.


Gina Bell
 (aka East Coast Mommy)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't miss any of the fun....