Tips for Encouraging Kids to be Active... and turn off their electronics

As a mom of three boys between the ages of 7 and 11, I understand the importance of keeping kids active. I truly believe that getting kids to play sports is critical to their physical, mental and emotional well-being. I also understand that in this age of technology, it is getting increasingly difficult to get kids to turn off their electronics and get moving. So, today I am sharing some simple and helpful tips for encouraging kids to be active.


Find what they love. -- My boys all love hockey, but they also enjoy anything that involves running around or playing with a ball or puck. I encourage them to participate in organized sports, but I also urge them to take part in unstructured physical endeavors too. I love to watch them play neighborhood games of ball, tag, Frisbee, or hide and seek… and I enjoy watching them go on bike rides/runs/hikes too. If they are moving and smiling, I’m happy!


Support them. Encourage them. Watch them. Cheer for them. -- I really try and teach my kids that the point of playing sports is not winning… it’s about working hard and doing their best. I want my boys to know that I love to watch them play and that I am always proud of them.


Set them up for success. -- I feel that my role as a parent is to help make sure my boys have the things they need to succeed. I get them the gear they require, help them fuel their bodies with healthy foods., and teach them to be disciplined and respectful.

Make it fun. -- Childhood sports are about being active, dreaming big, working hard, and having fun… period.


Are your kids into being active and having fun? How do you encourage their efforts?

♥
Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't miss any of the fun....