My husband and I are taking the boys to Florida in April, and we thought it would be fun to build anticipation with a "Countdown to Disney". This countdown is super-cute, and it is easy and inexpensive to make.
Here's how I made our Disney countdown (per the photo tutorial below):
1) I started with inexpensive pipe insulation (from the home improvement store), and I taped the ends together with lots of duct tape. I also stuck a craft stick in the middle before taping to make it a little stronger. (Note: The weight of the paper chain caused the insulation to bend slightly, so I think next time I might try reinforcing the foam with an old wire hanger... but if you don't mind not having a perfect circle, this isn't necessary)
2) I wrapped the insulation with black yarn... securing it with hot glue periodically.
3) I cut two circles from foam core (from the dollar store) using an x-acto knife.
4) I wrapped the circles with black yarn... securing it with hot glue periodically.
5) I attached the two smaller circles to the larger circle using hot glue and yarn.
6) I cut card stock (in yellow, red, and white) into strips that were two inches wide.
7) I glued two buttons onto the top strip, and then looped the remaining strips to make a chain.
I love our Disney countdown, and my boys are enjoying ripping the links off each day. I am too! :-)
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)