DIY Pool Party Cake Tutorial

Today, I am hosting a joint "pool party" for my two youngest boys (who are turning 7 and 9). They told me they wanted gummy sharks on their cakes, and I went to work designing something simple and fun for them. Below, I am sharing pictures of (and a tutorial for) the DIY Pool Party Cakes I made for my boys.

For each cake, I started out with two 8 inch round cakes. I levelled the cakes and used icing to create a double layer cake. I added a crumb coat, and refrigerated it overnight.


1) I added some icing and covered a "beach" area with sand (aka graham cracker crumbs).
2) I used food coloring to tint some icing blue and covered the remainder of the cake with the blue "water". I used an icing knife to create waves in the blue icing.
3) I added details to the cake: bear cookies floating in peach gummy rings, bear cookies laying on froot roll up towels, gummy sharks, and cocktail "beach" umbrellas.
4) I also added some sand and water (icing) to the serving tray, but this step is optional.

Check out the final product. Isn't it cute???

I made two because my boys each wanted their own cake. One is chocolate and one is white, so everyone is happy!

A pool party is a perfect theme for a summer birthday, don't you think? I can't wait to share the rest of our party details with you soon.

Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)


  1. Very creative! Thanks for sharing.

    Sarah Butland
    author of Being Grateful, Being Thankful


I LOVE to hear from you.. Please leave me your comments below... and log in or leave me your email address if you would like a response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...