1) Leave it for the book fairy -Our go-to solution has always been leaving a bunch of candy for the “Book Fairy”. My boys each fill a Ziploc bag with their favorite treats. Then, we leave the rest of the goodies by our front door. In the morning, the treats are gone, and the boys discover that the Book Fairy has left them new books. She has also been known to leave some new costumes for their dress up box. (I imagine that she gets fantastic deals on costumes when they go on sale after Halloween!)
2) Bake with it - You can add Smarties or chopped up chocolate bars to your favorite cookie or banana bread recipe, or try my simple Halloween Candy Bark recipe here.
3) Get rid of it - Donate it, bring it to the office, or share it with friends.
4) Ration it - Hide it and bring it out a little at a time. We often use it for our Friday family movie night, or special school lunch treats.
5) Celebrate with it - If you have a birthday coming up, it is perfect for party treats, loot bags, or filling a piñata. You can also use it to make a Christmas candy countdown. Fun, right?
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)