Lunch Box Biscuits (school lunch HACK)

Making 15 school lunches each week makes me crazy, so I am always looking for ways to make my life a little easier. My oldest son isn't a big fan of sandwiches, but he loves homemade biscuits. Today I am sharing my lunch box biscuit recipe and a school lunch HACK that I find really helpful!


Here's the recipe I use...

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
3 tsp white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1 large egg
2/3 cup 2% milk

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
3) Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
4) Whisk the eggs and the milk together in a small bowl.
5) Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir (just until moistened).
6) Move biscuit dough to a well floured surface knead/fold about 15 times. Roll to 3/4-inch thick, and cut with a 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter. You'll end up with a dozen biscuits. (Note: I always roll the dough out on a piece of wax paper for easy clean up.)
7) Place on lightly greased baking sheet or Silpat, and bake for 8-10 minutes.



Now, here's my secret shortcut...



I let the biscuits cool completely. Then, I cut them in half, butter them, individually wrap them, and stick them in a freezer bag. I leave them in the freezer, and I just take them out as I need them for lunches. Simple, right?

My oldest son likes to take a biscuit, rolled up (preservative free) ham or organic pepperoni (from the farmer's market), and some yogurt. I add some fruit, and we end up with a lunch that we are both happy with.

Do you have any school lunch HACKS you'd like to share? I can use all the help I can get!


Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE to hear from you.. Please leave me your comments below... and log in or leave me your email address if you would like a response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...