I wanted to make my boys a fun Halloween cake. So today, I baked my own version of one I saw at The Joy of Boys (which you can find here). I think my boys are going to love this simple eyeball cake, don't you?
To make the eyeball cake:
1) I started with a cake mix that I prepared according the directions on the box. Then, I bake the cake for 70 minutes (at 350 degrees) in a greased, oven-safe glass mixing bowl. (I would check it after 45 minutes, and then increase the cooking time by increments of 10 minutes until a wooden skewer comes out clean.)
2) I let the cake cool, and then I frosted it with pre-made white icing.
3) I added a little blue food coloring to some of the white icing, and used it to make the colored part of the eyeball.
4) I used a tube of black decorating gel to make the pupil of the eyeball.
5) I finished by adding some "veins and blood" with red decorating gel.
Didn't it turn out cute? It was easy to make, and I think it is a perfect Halloween dessert for my three little boys. Do you have a little one that would enjoy this adorable eyeball cake?
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)