5 Ways to Celebrate New Year's Eve With Kids

New Years’ Eve is a great time to plan a celebration with kids. I like to stay home and ring in the new year as a family, but if you have “grown up” plans, an earlier party with the kids is fun too. Here are 5 ways to celebrate New Year's Eve with kids:


1)  Countdown bagsI like to fill eight bags with different treats or activities, and every hour, my boys are allowed to open one of the bags.  You can find all the DIY details here.


2)  Year in review questionnaires - Last year I created a year in review questionnaire for the kids to fill out, and I have updated it so that we can do it again this year.  It's a fun activity, and it makes a nice keepsake too.  You can download the questionnaire I designed here.

Update: find a 2021 version here.



3)  DIY party favors - We like to craft party hats and signs (which you can read about here), and we like to make our own noisemaker (which you can read about here).  I also think it would be fun to bake muffins with my boys and send our guests home with "breakfast for 2014" or "midnight kisses" party favors.



 4)  Special treats - Milk in wine glasses (rimmed with sprinkles) and chocolate chip cookies are perfect for a "midnight toast".  You can find our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe here.



5)  Fun themes - I think it's fun to pick a theme for the decorations, food, and activities. I am considering a “clock” theme (including a cake shaped like a clock face), a movie night (with lots of glow sticks and a “milk and cookies” snack bar), or a pancakes and PJs” dance party.  Or, you can keep things simple by picking a fun color scheme to tie everything together.



However you choose to celebrate, I hope you and your family have a very Happy New Year, and I wish you all the best!


Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I love the questionnaire idea, even for us grown ups! It reminds me of when our son was younger; we celebrated every new year's with him until he was old enough to do his own thing. We used to bang pots and pans outside at midnight too. Glad to have seen this at Craft-o-maniac, it made me smile. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment. We used to bang pots and pans when I was little too... and I had forgotten about it. :-)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....