1) Countdown bags - I like to fill eight bags with different treats or activities, and every hour, my boys are allowed to open one of the bags. You can find all the DIY details here.
2) Year in review questionnaires - Last year I created a year in review questionnaire for the kids to fill out, and I have updated it so that we can do it again this year. It's a fun activity, and it makes a nice keepsake too. You can download the questionnaire I designed here.
3) DIY party favors - We like to craft party hats and signs (which you can read about here), and we like to make our own noisemaker (which you can read about here). I also think it would be fun to bake muffins with my boys and send our guests home with "breakfast for 2014" or "midnight kisses" party favors.
4) Special treats - Milk in wine glasses (rimmed with sprinkles) and chocolate chip cookies are perfect for a "midnight toast". You can find our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe here.
5) Fun themes - I think it's fun to pick a theme for the decorations, food, and activities. I am considering a “clock” theme (including a cake shaped like a clock face), a movie night (with lots of glow sticks and a “milk and cookies” snack bar), or a “pancakes and PJs” dance party. Or, you can keep things simple by picking a fun color scheme to tie everything together.
However you choose to celebrate, I hope you and your family have a very Happy New Year, and I wish you all the best in 2014!
Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)