Make your own Bird Feeders

Recently, a good friend of mine told me about a cute bird feeder her daughter made at Preschool using a toilet paper roll, peanut butter (or shortening if you have nut allergies), and bird seed.  I thought it would be a fun activity to do with my boys... and it was!



In fact, it was such a success that we decided to make two other variations:  Cheerio bird feeders and bird feeders using pine cones we found in our yard. 

Here's how you can make three different kinds of bird feeders:

1)  Gather the supplies (pipe cleaners, pine cones, toilet paper rolls, string, bird seed, peanut butter, and Cheerios).


2)  To make the Cheerio feeders, all you need to do is bend one end of pipe cleaner (so the Cheerios don't fall off), and then thread the Cheerios on.  To finish, make a loop at the top to hang it on the tree.  {My two year old loved this one, and he was able to do it all by himself, which made him super-proud.}



3)  To make the Toilet Paper Roll feeder:
     a)  Use a hole punch to make two holes at the top of your toilet paper roll.  (This is where you will be attaching the pipe cleaner.)


     b)  Cover the toilet paper roll with peanut butter, and then roll it in bird seed until it is completely covered.  (This part is a bit messy.)



     c)  Attach a pipe cleaner, and you're done!


4)  To make the pine cone bird feeder, simply cover the pine cone in peanut butter, roll it in birdseed, and attach a string.  Easy!



We have already attracted a lot of birds with our bird feeders.  Let me know how it works for you.

♥ 
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)



25 comments:

  1. Very fun projects. Your little guy looked so happy with his Cherrio creation...adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That basket effect is so charmingly woodsy feeling. Thanks for linking it up at my party. Such a child-friendly project too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what great ideas, thanks for posting. And my birds thank you too.

    Buffie
    http://papercuts4u.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great craft to do with your child! They looked like they were having fun! Thanks for linking at Pocket Full of Pink

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cherrios on a string...my 4 year old will love this...I hope you will link up with me here:
    http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2011/10/sweet-saturday-v11.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable idea. My kids would love this but I hate all the weeks that we get from birdseed falling to the ground. I would be delighted to have you stop by and link this up to my VIP party this weekend! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/10/vip-party-34.html Have a safe and happy halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute and it looks like your boys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only do these look like loads of fun to make but they have a awesome rustic beauty. I'm pinning this to do with my boy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a simple and good idea.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all three of them! Can't wait to try them with my kiddos! Thanks for linking up with us!
    Britney
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea. Thank you for sharing it, with the cute pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna made two pinecone bird feeders for her Uncle's Christmas present this year. She had so much fun making them (and eating the PB) and he was very pleased. A perfect craft for a 3 year old. Thanks so much for the idea!
    Bronwen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have any suggestions for doing these peanut-free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of people using shortening instead of peanut butter. I think it would work well.

      Delete
    2. Good question, lots of peanut allergies these days. I have heard of using honey.

      Delete
  14. Did this with my 2 yr old twins on a rainy day. Great success! Bkept them engaged and produced something usefull. I sprinkled hot pepper flakes over them to keep the squirrels off. V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart idea! I will have to remember that for next time. :-)

      Delete
  15. Can't wait to make this.. looks so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have made these and I found if you put the peanut butter in the microwave for just a little bit -you can tell when it looks a little soupy-you can dip or pour over the pine cones so much easier. Than add the seed and hang :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I’m in LOVE with your pine cone birdfeeder! Thank you for adding it to the “It’s Friday We’re in Love Link Party!” You are being featured in this weeks pine cone round up! Thanks for joining the party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. can you use Sun Butter? should be a good alternative to Peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ITS PERFECT FOR MY BROTHER FOR HOMEWORK

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....